Advisor Focus
Dr. Cynthia Wilczak Major/Minor, and certificates
Dr. Martha Lincoln Career Resources and Student Engagement
Dr. Meredith Reifschneider Graduate Students

Undergraduate Students

Majors in the College of Liberal & Creative Arts (LCA) should consult with two advisors each semester: (1) an advisor in the major and (2) a general education and university requirements advisor in the ARC (Advising Resource Center for LCA). Students who are completing a minor or an additional major should see an advisor in those programs as well.

For Advising in the Major and Minor

For General Education and University Requirements

Career Resources and Student Engagement

Graduate Students

Advising Graduate Students

Graduation Applications

Students must first go to ARC, Advising Resource Center, where they will check for completion of all GE and University requirements. You will need to bring the signed graduation requirements worksheet from the ARC to an Anthropology Advisor or they will not sign off on the major requirements section of the graduation form.

Graduate Advising Center

The Division of Graduate Studies offers counseling and advising regarding issues ranging from applications to graduation.

Who needs advising?

All Anthropology majors should see an advisor at least once a semester to ensure that they are meeting the requirements for completing their degree.

How do I see an advisor?

Advisors are available during their office hours during term time. Some may require you to book an appointment on an online calendar.

How do I submit paperwork remotely?

Most forms submitted remotely do not require your signature. Fill them out on your computer and email them from your SFSU email, which serves as proof of your identity. Please include a c.c. to

Which program do I follow?

The Department of Anthropology started a new undergraduate curriculum in the Fall of 2018. Students who had already declared their Anthropology major or minor before Fall 2018 do not have to meet the new requirements and should continue to follow the bulletin requirements for the year in which the major or minor was declared.

What if I just want general advising?

For General Education advising, students should visit the ARC, Advising Resource Center located in HUM 112. Visit the ARC website to schedule a virtual appointment during campus closures.

What if I am on academic probation?

Students with academic probation holds should first go to the ARC, the Advising Resource Center, located in HUM 112, to complete the paperwork. Vist the ARC website for more information.

After meeting with ARC, the completed paperwork should be brought to the chair of the department.

Interested in changing your major or minor to Anthropology?

Changes to majors and minors can be done in your student center. Please make an appointment with an anthropology advisor to plan your course schedule.

How do I transfer non-articulated courses into the major?

Not all courses from other universities are automatically treated as equivalent to our department's courses. For such "non-articulated" courses, you must speak with an advisor to have the courses accepted as part of your Anthropology coursework. Continuing students who take a course at another University should get approval prior to taking the course.

Why don’t my study abroad courses appear under the major on my DPR?

Courses approved for the major on the Bilateral Academic Advising Form you completed before you left the country should automatically appear as credits toward the degree on your degree progress report. If any do not appear under the major, you must speak with an Anthropology advisor.  Speak to your advisor within your first two months after your return to campus.

I am a double major. Do I have to take two GWAR courses?

We may allow a substitution of our 305GW core requirement with the GWAR offered by the department in your other major. Many other, but not all, departments will allow the same GWAR reciprocity for double majors, and if so, you can decide which GWAR works best for you to count toward both majors. Your advisor may request a copy of the syllabus from another GWAR course before approving the substitution.